There’s this great line in Marvel movie Black Widow when Natasha Romanov’s “mother”, played by Rachel Weisz, says “Falling only makes you stronger.”
So true. We all face setbacks at some point. Setbacks help us take a pause, regroup, come up with a better plan of action.
We need the right mindset though. Mindset plays a huge role in how, and whether, we bounce back from adversity. An optimistic outlook helps us start over after a failure. We won’t feel defeated or discouraged in new endeavours. We continue on with the next projected objective and achieve more. Here are some ways to get back on track after slipping up:
Five Habits of Optimistic People and You Can Practice Optimism Daily
- Expressing Gratitude: Optimistic people appreciate the blessings they receive. They also find resilience and strength in the face of adversity.
- Donating Time and Energy: A person that pays it forward helps others regardless of what is occurring in their lives. It makes them more appreciative of the wonderful things in their lives.
- A Genuine Interest in Others: These motivational tips are based on compassion and shared experience. It is easier to stay optimistic when you realize you aren’t alone in your struggles.
- Surround Yourself with Upbeat People: Your mood is affected by the company you keep. By surrounding yourself with upbeat individuals, you remain optimistic and happy.
- Don’t Take in Negative Opinions: It’s important to get feedback, but it’s also up to you to reflect on feedback and decide if it’s an accurate reflection of you. It’s alright not to agree with the opinions of others.
How to Bounce Back After a Major Setback and Achieve Your Goals:
- Reflect on Skills Acquired: Instead of reflecting on the negative outcome, assess the skills received from the journey. This assessment helps you see the positive in each step and re-evaluate each step.
- Evaluate your Motivation: Evaluate why you choose to move forward with the goal in the first place. Determine what the underlying goal was and assess the situation to see if this goal was achieved in some part or manner.
- Set New Goals: Once you know what your purpose really was, you can set a new goal. Set your sights on this objective.